Kohunlich ruins roadtrip GPX Route
A great adventure exploring the Kohunlich ruins in southern Quintana Roo. Ride through Mexican forests and farmlands on this day trip in the Chetumal area.
Wanna see ancient Mayan ruins? Of-course you do! Head over to the ancient city of Kohunlich near Bacalar and Chetumal and explore what the Mayans were up to 600 years ago. Kohunlich is a large settlement with many ruins to explore.
Not many of Cancuns tourism goes here. So your adventure will be just a little bit more unique.
There is no onsite restaurant or shop – Bring your own refreshments.
We ate some dodgy tacos in a nearby eatery on the main road. Not recommended.
A special caution in regards to the map accuracy. On the way back, some maps show farm roads where they don’t exist or show them in the wrong spot. Start location marked and commented in the POI. Check out the POI file beforehand so you now what to expect.
Where: Eastern Mexico
Distance: 155km / 97miles
Fuel availability: Bad, fill up before leaving Bacalar
Road Conditions: Mostly paved, good condition. One stretch unpaved.
Toll Roads: No
Government checkpoints: No
Unofficial roadblocks: No/Unknown
This PAID download includes the GPX route to follow on your GPS/Navigation app.
Paid downloads include a Point of Interest (POI) file which may include a few fuel stations, checkpoints, hotel, restaurants and potential road hazards like fog or unpaved segments. As well as a number of noteworthy attractions.
You may also like…
- The POI are not exhaustive and only includes places we visited and liked or found noteworthy. More/other locations/cautions may exist.
- Not sure if routes work for you? Try before you buy - Download the Mexico test route or Philippines test route here.
- It should be obvious that you are going on an adventure. Prepare accordingly! Consider your fuel range, tools, and self-sustainability before departure. Read more »
- Road conditions will vary. Safety on the road may change unannounced and unexpected.
- Need help with GPX files? Ask your question via the Contact form.