Tuxtla Gutierrez to Salina Cruz GPX Route
Enter the plains of Oaxaca in Mexico on this route from Tuxtla Gutierrez to Salina Cruz.
Explore the Mexican rural areas of Chiapas and Oaxaca on this route from Tuxtla Gutierrez to Salina Cruz. Finally head down from an elevation of about 2000 meters down to sea-level along a twisting road onto the plains of Oaxaca. Drive through expansive wind farms and lesser known towns and cities.
This route has many active checkpoints and we spotted several groups of what appeared to be (illegal) immigrants heading north.
Most checkpoints seemed to be aimed at finding stowaways in freight vehicles, some checkpoints were equipped with x-ray machines and chase vehicles. Others were manned with plain clothes and/or immigration personnel. We were not stopped anywhere, but traffic built up in several spots slowing everything down.
Where: Southern Mexico
Distance: 313km / 194miles
Fuel availability: Good
Road Conditions: Paved, good condition.
Toll Roads: No
Government checkpoints: Yes
Unofficial roadblocks: No/Unknown
This PAID download includes the GPX route to follow on your GPS/Navigation app.
Paid downloads include a Point of Interest (POI) file which may include a few fuel stations, checkpoints, hotel, restaurants and potential road hazards like fog or unpaved segments. As well as a number of noteworthy attractions.
- The POI are not exhaustive and only includes places we visited and liked or found noteworthy. More/other locations/cautions may exist.
- Not sure if routes work for you? Try before you buy - Download the Mexico test route or Philippines test route here.
- It should be obvious that you are going on an adventure. Prepare accordingly! Consider your fuel range, tools, and self-sustainability before departure. Read more »
- Road conditions will vary. Safety on the road may change unannounced and unexpected.
- Need help with GPX files? Ask your question via the Contact form.