Back | Osmand | BMW Connected | Guru Maps | Routes | MapOut
I’ve recently discovered Guru Maps but have used it a few times before deciding I don’t really like how the app fails to detect me being at the start of a track or route. Other than the ‘failing-to-start-navigation’ issue it seems like a solid alternative for Osmand that supports the GPX files available through MotoTravel.
I think their ‘Pro’ price is a bit high, but for an app well done it may just be worth it. I suspect that the regular version will serve most peoples purposes just fine.
Importing a GPX file into Guru Maps
Here we assume that your Files app has access to your files or can browse your cloud storage.
This works pretty much the same in Apps like Dropbox, Google Drive and Nextcloud.
1. In the phones ‘Files’ app navigate to the GPX file you want to import.
2. On iOS long press the file you want to import and press ‘Share’ or ‘Open in’ from the popup menu. On Android simply tap the file.
3. In the share screen tap on the Guru Maps icon.
4. Guru Maps should open automatically and show you a preview of the track.
The route is now available in ‘My Collections’, ready for navigation.
5. Exit out of the menus to the main screen (the map).
6. On the side of the screen there is a row of buttons, tap the folder icon.
7. Tap on the route you want to ride and tap the route or track file in it.
You’re shown a preview of the track or route.
8. On the bottom bar, tap the navigate button to start navigation.
Reference; I use a Motorola with Android 11.